I absolutely love that I’ve published my first novel, Nutcracker Sweetest. Seeing your book in pixels is an amazing thing; seeing that people have actually bought it is even more awesome. I’m sure I sound like a complete rookie right now, but whatever. The process is wondrous. I’m enjoying it.
There are some definite surprises for me in the whole process:
- There are lots of ebook publishing platforms that I didn’t even know about. Call me naive and crazy, but my whole self-publishing world consisted of B & N and Amazon until about three days ago. Now, there’s Smashwords, Kobo, All Romance E-books…I’m sure some others will pop up. If they do, I’ll list my book there, too.
- People use the Amazon return policy to steal free reads. The scam is as follows: a reader buys, reads, and returns an ebook, all during Amazon’s 7 day return window, for a full refund. I mean, dang. My *ss is broke as joke, not even gonna lie, but…really? Yikes.
- Romance ebook writers are the most successful out of all fiction categories. If I had to hazard a guess, it would be that romance readers want discretion, and ebooks ensure that.
- Editing is your friend. Seriously. This isn’t a shock, but it’s a fact.
- More men read and write romance than I thought.
- Formatting is the devil. I see you, 90 pg. Smashwords style guide! I see you!
- A good, solid EPUB file takes a village to create. Or, in my case, several different programs.
- Once you get everything set, passive income really is pretty passive. It’s taking me a bit of a mental jump to earn without directly trading my time for money. I’m sure I’ll get used to it, though. 😉
I’m sure that I’ll learn more little lessons as time goes on and I publish more books. Because I love computers and digital media, I’m enjoying the process. Here’s to new beginnings!